Columbia, South Carolina, Sketched from Camp Sorgum
- Columbia, South Carolina, Sketched from Camp Sorgum
- Large panorama; in Frank Leslie's illustrated newspaper 4/8/1865.
- Persistent Record Link:
- February 16, 1865
- art original
South Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pictorial works
Columbia (S.C.) -- History -- 19th century -- Pictorial works
Graphite drawings -- American -- 1860-1870
Panoramic views -- American -- 1860-1870
Columbia, Richland, South Carolina, United States
Recto: "middle // 'Columbia' sketched from the 17th [Co]rps front near Camp Sorgum // [in ink] South Carolina // state capitol unfinished // Old state house // Line of Spartanburg RR // citadel // Congaree R."
Verso: "View of Columbia fro[m] the South bank of the Congar[ee River] sketched the morning of the 16th - Batteries of the 17[th] Corps are playing upon the city." Two sketches in grey ink, trees it seems."
Condition: Vertical and horizontal folds; uneven paper along bottom margin; rips along left and top margin; glue stains in sky.
Original drawing location: CW-JT-SC-2/16/65 (Box 9.)
- Original location:
- Original drawings and photographic reproductions. Becker Archive, Boston College Fine Arts Dept.
- Reproduction note:
- Electronic reproduction. Chestnut Hill, Mass. : Becker Project, 2005. Created from a photographic reproduction of the original drawing.
- Physical Description:
- 1 art original : Graphite on wove paper ; 5.25 x 13.25 in.