Cyrus Field and Party at Valentia, Ireland
- Cyrus Field and Party at Valentia, Ireland
- Persistent Record Link:
- June 5, 1985
- art original
Transatlantic cables -- History -- 19th century -- Pictorial works
Drawings -- American -- 1860-1870
- Valencia Island, Kerry, Munster, Ireland
Recto: No text.
Verso: "Cyrus Field and party selecting the location for landing the shore end of the cable on the Coast of Valentia. Sunday afternoon, June 5." "This is almost as important as laying the cable itself and Mr. Field traversed the island time and again before deciding on the matter a smooth water and sandy bottom being necessary for the safety of the cable." "1 Cyrus W. Field" "2 Knight of Kerry ( A [?])" "3 C. F. Varley Asst. Electrician to Atlantic Telegraph Co" "4 B. Wardlock Supt in Ireland of the Atlantic Co" "5 John Temple Engineer to the Telegraph and Maintenance Co London" "See Farrell's letters to the Herald, J.B." "The shore end of the cable will be carried out to sea about 15 miles and there buryed [sic] until the arrival of the Great Eastern when it will be connected with the Main Line. Consequently the ship will not come within sight of Valencia."
Condition: Tattered, corners missing.
Original drawing location: TAC-JB-GB-6-5-65-2 (Box 11).
- Original location:
- Original drawings and photographic reproductions. Becker Archive, Boston College Fine Arts Dept.
- Reproduction note:
- Electronic reproduction. Chestnut Hill, Mass. : Becker Project, 2005. Created from a photographic reproduction of the original drawing.
- Physical Description:
- 1 art original : graphite on paper ; 13" x 9.5."