Robert Bellarmine letter, 1598 February 5
- Robert Bellarmine letter, 1598 February 5
- Autographed letter signed from Bellarmine to his brother-in-law Bartoletto Burratti, referring to earlier letters, offering consolation amidst difficulties and sending further assurances of support.
- Persistent Record Link:
- Bellarmino, Roberto Francesco Romolo, Saint, 1542-1621
Bellarmino, Roberto Francesco Romolo, Saint, 1542-1621 -- Correspondence
Catholic Church -- Clergy
Jesuits -- Correspondence
- Biographical/Historical note:
- Italian Jesuit. Bellarmine was born in Tuscany and joined the Society of Jesus in 1560. He taught theology at Louvain and then in the Roman College. In 1594 he was appointed Pope Clement XIII's theologian. He was elevated to the rank of Cardinal in 1599 and briefly served as archbishop of Capua. A great Catholic apologist during the Counter Reformation, Bellarmine was canonized in 1930 and declared a Doctor of the Church in 1931.
- Reproduction note:
- Electronic reproduction. Chestnut Hill, Mass. : Boston College, University Libraries, 2011. Mode of access: Internet.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ; 41 x 28 cm., folded to 21 x 28 cm.
- Use Restrictions:
- These materials are in the public domain. No copyright permissions are needed. Acknowledgement of the Boston College University Libraries as a source for borrowed images is requested.